Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Making a fabric basket isn't hard, although it can be time consuming. I use three sixteenth braided cotton clothesline, I get it at Walmart. Any fabric will do only limited by the imagination of the maker. The fabric strips should be cut no wider than three quarters to one inch, and the width of the fabric is about the easiest length to cope with.
I just toss the clothesline onto the floor and unwind it with a tug as I work.

  I start with about an inch wide strip and make sure the clothesline is even and about half the width extends above the top of the clothesline. Wraping down diagonally I wrap for a few inches then
fold the unfilled top down to meet the wrapped cord.

Then fold once more about half an inch.

Place under the needle and zig zag. I like a narrower zig zag, less thread shows and the fabric shows up better. Keep zig zagging, at first the foot needs to be lifted between stitching, in order to get it into the round shape, but after a couple of rows all it needs is guidance, and almost turns itself.

Care must be taken that the center of the foot is exactly on the line where the two strands of wrapped cord are, if the zig zag doesn't straddle them both the basket will fall apart.


I like to wrap a good long length of cord, I think it's a bit faster, and then use a clothespin to keep it from unwinding while I sew.


To add a new strip of fabric wrap the end tightly around the cord, open slightly and put the new end between the cord and the last of the previous strip, then continue wrapping and sewing as before.


To end cut the cord diagonally wrap the end of the cord and twist the fabric in the same direction tightly. Zig zag it tightly against the previous row.

Zig zag around the top edge of the basket with the right side of the needle just off the edge to finish.
If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them, it is a relatively easy process, I find it fun, but fairly slow what with the wrapping, and sometimes my shoulder gets really tired before I get done. The machine one uses makes a real difference, my newer machine couldn't really handle the thickness and I broke a lot of needles as well as the machine itself. This old Singer from the sixties that I am using now works really well and it doesn't even seem as if it has any difficulty going through all the thicknesses of clothesline and fabric. I use serger thread to whatever color goes best with the fabric I'm using. It's strong and doesn't break easily being polyester.

I hope my directions are understandable and that others will be moved to try it making their own fabric baskets.

No comments:

Post a Comment