Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I had my mammogram this morning so that's out of the way for another year.

We got 6.4 inches of snow in about 6 hours, and it's still snowing. The kids didn't get a snow day, but almost as good: school started 2 hours late. It's very warm about thirty degrees, so everything is slushy and the snow is good snow man building snow. Most of the time our snow is too dry, but this snow is good for building purposes and after my mammogram we stopped by the store and Ambrosina bought rainbow carrots for noses and such. I hope to get pictures, and when the snow melts the squirrels and bunnies will get carrots to eat.

To make a lid for a basket I use the number of rounds that I made the base of the basket around plus two, that works if the basket is straight up and down, but they often aren't so always check. In this basket I started with 10 round for the base but needed 17 for the top of the basket.

Holding the lid/basket at right angles will make a straight lid or basket, holding it at different angles will make the sides more rounded, for a lid I hold it at as right an angle as I can, it can be a little tricky; you have to make sure it gets caught by the left side of the zigzag. For a lid I put 4 or 5 rounds on the lip, whatever looks the best. For a basket you can stop when you want. My lid didn't turn out all that great, so I am going to redo it tomorrow, and use the one I made today as a base for another basket, with a different shape. I hope I run out of that fabric pretty soon I'm starting to get bored with it. I think the best baskets have lots of colors and patterns in them, but some people like matching sets, there is room for all sizes and shapes and colors, and somebody will like it

I am close to finishing Tumbling Stars, I have to dig out some black solid fabric for the binding, I think that will look best. I could have finished it today except for going to get my mammogram, but I'm not in that much of a hurry. The next quilt will be En Provence, pattern by Bonnie Hunter, and it will be for my bed. I think I will do it in bubbles, they are fun and look good as an all over pattern that doesn't take too much concentration. It's a big quilt so it will be easier to do a smaller pattern. After it is done I will have enough bedding for my bed, so that will be very nice.

I've got all the units for the next Drunkard's Path pinned now, so that will be just straight sewing for a while until I am ready to start making the blocks, so every thing is well in hand and under control, no new tops will be completed for a few weeks so I can catch up on the tops I have just finished and get ahead on some of the older ones.

The boys are home and building some snowmen, I think I will see if I can get some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment