Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Skirt and blouse are done; also a small start on the jacket, progress has been pretty easy on them, and I am enjoying the garment construction. I haven't done any for a while. I wish I could make shoes too.

I've got a pretty good pile of the larger Pinwheels done, I usually spin the center seams while I am watching TV with David, I can't stand sitting with my hands not busy. Spinning the seams isn't all that exciting and the TV is enough of a distraction I don't get too bored with it.
 There are quilts that I didn't bother spinning the center seam of the block and I've been sorry. The quilting was difficult when I hit those center seams and I have broken needles. You take the stitches out on the vertical seam between the horizontal seam and the raw edge. Since I chain piece I have to cut the connecting threads first.

 It's a little hard to see, my camera isn't of the best, but usually I am happy with it.
Then you pick back the threads to the crossing seam on both sides of the block. I have a little stilletto  that I use, but a seam ripper works.

 I spread it out on a flat surface and fold the press the seams going around the block. I finger press while I am doing this and do a final press later.
It was hard to get a good picture of this, but the center of the wrong side will look like a miniature block in the middle.

Elinor Burns covers this in almost all of her videos on YouTube. I didn't learn it from her, I don't even remember when I learned but it was back in the eons of time, long before YouTube and internet.
The block looks pretty good on the right side and it is ready to be put away until I get them all done and taken to the ironing board. It takes a little time, but well worth it for the sake of finished project.
All of the sets of 4 Pinwheel blocks got finished this afternoon.
All I have left to put under the needle for the first run-through is this basket of single blocks, then when those are done, as I put the rest of the blocks through for the second time, I will work on finishing the odds and ends of blocks. Also I have the star blocks I can start putting through, something to look forward to. I am thinking I will have to do a royal clean up in the sitting room, I tend to focus on a job and let everything else go. Something else to look forward to. There is always something. So I don't really know how long it will take to finish them. This step is a little slower since there are four seams to match in the blocks that are being completed now. It's a good thing I enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment