Friday, May 20, 2016

The log cabin heart is basted and I got a good start on the quilting. It is so thick and heavy that I am having trouble with the thread fraying and I have broken 2 needles. I am pausing until I can get to Jo-Ann's and get some needles, hopefully this evening.

My helper was on hand.
I am quilting in black for a couple of reasons. 1. because it will show every fault and deviation so it will really make me step up my game and make some real improvements, and it will be easier to see and 2. because we have an awful lot of black thread in this house, so I may as well use it.
I made this top using flannel for a foundation; it seemed like a good idea at the time-i had so much of it. Then I machine embroidered every seam and every strip, that too seemed like a good idea at the time. The result is a very thick, very heavy top which will be nice and warm for bedding but is a stinker to work on. And yes it really is that pink. I sincerely hope this is the last of the ones that I did that way.
I managed to cut myself really good with the rotary cutter when I was trimming up the edges. It could only have been carelessness, there were no distractions so I can't blame it on any one but myself.
All in all a fairly satisfying day. Leon and Ambrosina are taking the kids to the drive-in tonight so we will have a quiet evening to look forward to. Not that a little noise ever hurts us anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment