Tuesday, August 29, 2017

I think I am going to call this Pinwheels and Hourglasses because of the secondary pattern that was formed when I joined the blocks together. There is almost a star if you look at it out of focus. Anyway this is the first in the series of Pinwheel quilts to be finished. I finished it yesterday morning.
This is the back. I don't know how many more pink backs I am going to get out of the scrap pieces for backs tubs, I used pink on the back because there is a lot of pink on the front. I will have to wait until there is another pink quilt to use the rest.

Today I quit sewing an hour early and came down to the basement and got started dressing the loom.
 This is the jars with the warp that I wound this spring and summer, I wound it in 12 sections to make it easier for me to handle
 For each section I find the cross that I tied to keep the threads in order. I slip the threads on each side of the cross onto the lease sticks that will hold it in place while I wind it onto the warp beam of the loom.

These are all 12 sections on the lease sticks ready to tie onto the apron of the warp beam.
Here they are tied onto the apron stick. In my small space it's hard to get far enough behind the loom to get a good picture. It's also rather dark and I have to get some lamps set up.

The next step is to sort the threads into the raddle. The cross keeps it in order. I am always a little nervous when I start to take the cross threads out. There are 968 threads that I have to keep in order and untangled and I don't do it often enough. On the right is the first section. The raddle is a board that has finish nails in it every half inch; since I am doing 24 threads to the inch, each section of the raddle gets 12 threads. When I get a section filled I put a rubber band across the nails to hold the threads in place. I do for each section of warp all the way across. I take it slow and easy, if I don't I make a lot of mistakes. I find that if I am very careful at the very beginning I get a better result all the way through. It is a little tiring, but I do enjoy handling the threads. The cotton thread that I am using is very soft. Even the little boys like feeling it.

I don't know how long this step will take me, I am not going to be doing as much quilting, but I still am going to do some and will try to divide my time equally between the sewing and the weaving.

For handwork right now I am doing this:
Tatting. I haven't done any for a long time and I am a little out of practice. I do really enjoy it however. I don't really need another doily, and I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet. This is only the center, and I don't know how long it will take me. I will eventually go back to hexagon piecing but it's nice to have a rest. I was looking for my crochet hooks; I can't find them anywhere, I am sure I put them where I could find them again, which is why I can't find them. I won't find them until I buy another one the size I need, I am sure of that. I have never seen it fail. Murphy's law.

I've earned my feet up/handwork time today. I am pleased with what I accomplished this morning and it's time to relax with my coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment