Monday, February 20, 2017

This morning, upstairs, I started my Log Cabin Heart. This will be the 2nd one for me. I made the other top over ten years ago, but my notes seem complete so I am reworking them and going ahead on it. I love doing Log Cabins, I have several other in mind, but for right now I have got a good start on the Heart quilt.
This one will have a totally different look although the same pattern.
This is the reworked diagram and the notes. In order to get the curves a mix of inch wide and inch and a half wide strips are used in dark and light tones. 34 of this block are made.
To start with the center of the block I use 2 one and a half inch squares and join them. Take time to test your seam the two joined units should measure exactly two and a half inches. If the seam is off fix it, A bit off here will make it a lot off later in the block and it's discouraging to be always trying to correct your seam. If you keep your cutting consistent and make sure your seam is always one quarter inch you will be pleased with your results, it makes a huge difference. I use a quarter inch seam gauge, not a quarter inch foot. The foot can sometimes be a couple of threads off and that will make a big difference too.

I got this tip from Bonnie Hunter's blog, and it's the best seam gauge I've ever used. Thanks Bonnie!
 The third piece is two and a half by one and a half inches. I call the one and a half inch strips wide and the inch strips narrow, it is easier for me to keep track. Piece A is the center, piece B is the 2nd piece and piece # is the 3rd. These are all "wide". Turn the block clockwise as you add the newest strip and press the seam to the strip you added last. Some people take the block to the iron after each addition, I don't, I finger press and it seems to work just fine. My ironing board is never up, Ambrosina doesn't like it sitting around.

 Piece D, the fourth piece is of the the "narrow" dark color, it also is two and a half inches long.

With piece E it becomes a little easier to remember which way to turn the block from this piece on you add the next piece to the side that has two seams.
In this block the narrow and dark is on one side and the wide and light is on the other.
And this is how far I got with all 34 blocks today. The next piece added will be narrow dark.

This is how I cut, I like to cut 4 layers at a time, if however, you have slippage or a slippery fabric you might want to cut fewer for accuracy's sake.

The four layers, I like using a square-up ruler that way I can line up the lines with the edge of the strips and get an accurate cut every time. Accuracy is the key for a good block. I don't think "that's good enough" works very well for consistence in patchwork.

The kids are home from school this week and the table was in use this morning. They were playing Spiderman Monopoly, and I am so glad I don't have to play it, I would go crazy so fast. After lunch they got to go to Grandma's, but it was too late for me to baste. I will have to grab a chance when they are doing something else either tomorrow or Wednesday. Any excuse is a good excuse to put off basting which I hate.

I'm slowly getting over this flu but I still tire very easily. It's been nice enough for David to go out and work in his shop, for which my gratitude knows no bounds. He is so much easier to get along with if he can go outside. Leon is planning to get electricity out there this summer and then they will get a heater so they can work out there in the winter. At this point that is even better than another bathroom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment