Friday, July 7, 2017

The next UFO pulled from the bins n the dining room. The name is Sunflower and I started this so long ago I am not sure when. I think I remember cutting out the pieces one night when I was suffering from insomnia during a time when my marriage to David was in serious trouble. When I couldn't sleep I would get up and cut out quilts. I got a lot of them cut out. Not a lot of them finished, but cut out and sorted into baggies. This was so long ago that ziplock bags were not very common and very expensive. It would be about 25 years ago, at the very least.

Water under the bridge, but I think the quilt will be nice when it is finished. I sewed the blocks together a couple of years ago but I didn't like the way they looked so I put it away for a while. I took them apart earlier in the week and when I shopped yesterday I found this fabric on sale that will tie all the colors together. None of the blocks are the same. It is a scrap quilt. One block even has and odd diamond in it because, evidently, I lost one or didn't cut enough out. I don't remember. I think I a going to use yellow for the cornerstones of the sashing.

2nd assistant Waddles didn't want me to quilt this morning, but I moved him and got to work only to find that I was almost out of thread and there was no more orange in the thread bin so I had to run another errand and lost about an hour. If we still lived on Vashon Island it would have been at least 3 hours, and I probably couldn't have afforded the ferry fare. I remind myself of that often when I feel like complaining.

Some different views of the quilt on the sewing table. It's coming along pretty good, about a quarter of the way. I don't know if this quilting pattern has been used by anyone else, I was just sort of playing around when I decided to use it. I call it somersault because for some reason it reminds me of the somersaults we used to turn as a kid. It's fun, but it uses a lot of thread. I should have done bigger curls to begin with and done fewer; it's too late now. Well, I now have enough thread and I hope to finish it sometime next week.

Well with one thing and another it's been a busy week, it doesn't look like the weekend will be any less busy either. They boys are at Grandma's today so the house is quiet. That never lasts long!

No comments:

Post a Comment