Thursday, September 6, 2018

One of the first skeins of yarn that I spun. It's pretty knobby and a lot heavier than I like. It was a little hard to put through the eye of the ball winder. I've improved vastly. I got used to the wheel with the bulk bobbin and am honing my skills. It's been 20 plus years since I did much spinning, probably close to 25. My family was young and I was taking care of my elderly parents and I was working full time. It's no wonder I didn't have time. After I stopped working I didn't have a wool source. I found that my knowledge and understanding of the process has grown over time, I am approaching my work with a whole different mindset and it is so much fun! I plan on dyeing tomorrow.
C-3 Eye Of The Cyclone. I didn't do much sewing this morning, I had some odds and ends to catch up on and a couple of skeins of yarn to wash and block. I bought a salad spinner to put the yarn through to get the extra water out and it should dry faster. We already have the fall chill in the air so the time for drying outside is going to be limited.

So Sammy, who is seven, was standing watching me spinning. Then he said: "So where's this yarn you are supposed to be making?" And I told him it was right in front of him. He said, 'that doesn't look like yarn to me. Of course I said well it is yarn. He said: "It doesn't look like the yarn I use". There is always a critic in the room.

Tomorrow I am going to try dyeing with food coloring, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment