Friday, September 7, 2018

Here we go with the first food coloring experiment. One-half teaspoon violet dye in a cup of tepid water. With this very first try I learned that you cannot control what the food coloring is going to do, that is what made it so much fun. I only soaked one skein of yarn, I didn't think I would need anymore but when I saw that the yarn in the pot wasn't going to exhaust into the first skein I pulled it out and tossed in a dry one.
That didn't exhaust either. I have a lot to learn. My wool/food coloring/vinegar mix was off. I am not dissatisfied with my yarn. In fact I am very pleased and can't wait to try again.
These skeins were in the same dye pot one after the other, the darker first. I think the colors are beautiful. One can't dye enough for a garment this way, but for the use I am planning the variety will be wonderful. I can't wait until they are dry so I can use them.

 C-7 Meghan's Mountain Laurel. I finished the hand applique of the diamonds last night, the rest is paper pieced.
 C-8 Hani's Crown. I pieced this while I was waiting on the dye pot. I lost some time this morning because my new ball winder broke last night when I was winding yarn and I had to take it back. I hope the new one lasts better.

So now on to other things, it's time for some hand work and the boys will be home from school very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment