Saturday, September 8, 2018

It always surprises me how much I can get done in twenty minutes. I love the way the pattern is starting to emerge on the loom. I don't spend a lot of time in any one sitting when I weave, but a short time spent goes a long way.
C-10 Patriot's Lantern

I only got one done this morning, I didn't seem to be able to get up to speed this morning. David has come down with a cold, I hope I am not joining him. Ambrosina has it too. According to Sammy they got it from one of his classmates.


I brought the yarn in from drying outside. I am very happy with the way it turned out and I can't wait to see how it is going to look in a rug. This was some of the first yarn I spun and I was out of practice so it is really uneven and very bulky, as well as over-twisted. Now I am getting the thickness down and getting the twist more under control. I used Wilton's violet food coloring. What I took away from this is that the raw wool takes the dye slower. It's not completely raw, by the time it went into the dye pot it had been washed twice, but still had a lot of lanolin in it. By the time it was finished cooking, the lanolin was all gone and it is feels harsher. This wool is from sheep that are bred for meat so the staple is going to be coarser and it won't be as soft as sheep that are bred for wool. I don't mind, for rugs it will do very well and will be very durable.

So there you have it, I am looking forward to my next time at dyeing. I have to wait for a day that Ambrosina is not using the kitchen. I will be glad when we get water down here, but don't know when that will be. We make do with what we have, it's certainly not all that difficult.

Ambrosina went through her baking cupboard and gave me some of her food coloring. I look forward to trying that!

No comments:

Post a Comment