Friday, August 10, 2018

After last week I decided to take things easier this week and so haven't accomplished a whole lot. Except...
Grandson Ben's turtle quilt. I cannot believe how long this quilt took. I had so many interruptions this week. I never got even a full mornings sewing in. School starts in a couple of weeks so things should go a little smoother after that. I know that there are strong feelings both pro and con about using sheets in quilts. I have to say that the perfect fabric for this border is a sheet. It was just what I wanted to tie in with the brown stripes of the sashes so I went for it. And I like it.
I imagine there are people with strong feelings about piecing the backs the way I do also, but they work for me on my budget so I go with them. The smaller pieces on the left are fabric samples of drapery fabric. I was just short of the print, which was also drapery fabric, and since they were the same weight I foresee no problem. My eleven year old grandson won't care one way or the other. By the time he was used it on the grass and taken it camping they will blend pretty well. I also used pieces of binding left over from other quilts. Scrappy binding is always interesting.

I planned on spending the afternoon weaving yesterday, but after (and only after) I got the heading woven in I discovered that I had missed several dents (slots) in the reed on my threading and had to untie and rethread part of it. I really need more light over there!
So this morning after I finished binding Ben's quilt I cam down and got my headings woven in. When I went to put my temple on, the green rod you see on top, I discovered there is a screw missing. It seems like there has been just one thing after another making it difficult to get anywhere on this warp. Naturally out in a three car garage, full of tools, equipment and just plain junk there isn't a single screw that will fit. Argh. I'll go through my sewing machine parts tomorrow and find something. Never send a man to do a woman's work, to paraphrase an old saying.

So there you have it. An easier week but not without its blessings. Now to my lace pillow for an afternoon's relaxation.


No comments:

Post a Comment