Wednesday, October 31, 2018


 I am naming this quilt Al Beasly's Ties. Many years ago I had a long running joke with a friend of my husband's family about making his wild ties into a quilt. After he died I got his ties and made a start, but never finished. This UFO is at least 30 years old if not older. I was doing it all in hand work, but I will never get it finished that way.
 I got this row done in quilt-as-you-go fashion but I don't like doing it that way. I did a lot of hand embroidery on it so I am going to bind this finished row and make it into a table/bed runner. I have 30 blocks that I am putting into a top and will machine quilt that.

 I also have four blocks hand quilted and hand embroidered that I will turn into pillows because I just don't want to have to try to work them into rows. It's time this project was ! I could still do the hand work, I just want to focus on other things now and I don't want it sitting around any more gathering dust.



This is the first ply of my latest spin wound into a center pull ball ready to ply. I am afraid the picture doesn't do the colors justice. Tomorrow I will start the second spin. I am trying to do what is called a "fractal" spin but I think that I don't have enough different colors.

"A fractal is a pattern that repeats no matter how far you zoom in or zoom out. Its a pattern within a pattern. The Fractal Foundation has this neat little gif that sums it all up. But don’t look for too long."

This is a quotefrom Roving Crafters which gives a far better explanation than I ever could, but I don't think it will work so well when the colors are as similar as mine. It's very interesting and I thank them. It's fun trying though. When the remodel down here is finished I will have a place to do my dyeing and I will try hand painting a roving to try it on.

So now I am pretty well up to date on what is going on. I don't seem to have much energy right now and I am not getting a lot done and I don't seem to feel like doing much. I hope it's not the winter doldrums setting in early.

David went to the doctor this morning and she said that they will have to wait until it happens again before they can do anything more permanent. Can't wait, oh boy, the things we have to look forward too!

No comments:

Post a Comment