Monday, May 27, 2019

So... I guess isn't a lot going on lately. This is the first day of the boys summer vacation and they seem pretty grumpy today. I hope that doesn't mean we are going to have a grumpy summer!

I have had two center pull winders break on me in the last year. The cheap things from Michael's just don't last. I looked on line and found this and I love it. It is so smooth and quiet and if it breaks it can be fixed.  It cost ten dollars less than two of the ones which broke and takes less time too. It's got a lot bigger footprint but well worth the space it took up. This is the first part of the first ply of the roving I dyed last. I really like it as a single but I over-twisted for plying so I will keep going with that.

The green is not plied yet. I have been waiting for the weather to warm up so I can take the wheel out under the back porch and spend an afternoon doing it while I watch the wildlife (birds, squirrels, rabbits, butterflies, neighbors kids and our boys). The old ball winder made such a mess of the first ball and broke before I had finished the second, that it is not going to be too easy to ply. Oh well, it will keep me interested.

I finished quilting the center blocks of my Dear Jane and got a good start on the border this morning before I ran out of steam. I hope to finish it this week.

 I got this book at Joann's a couple of months ago, but have been to busy with the hat and scarf sets that I need to get done before fall. The patterns are beautiful and I just couldn't resist swatching one. Tricky though. I started doing one whole pattern but decided I had to break it down into units and working them until I thoroughly understand exactly what I am doing.

 This is not the best yarn for it but it will do for learning. It doesn't really have good stitch definition. It is an acrylic yarn made for machine knitting, but it will do to learn the technique and it won't waste my beautiful wool yarns while I learn. As you can see I have a long way to go, it is fun and I am enjoying it.

I did finish pinning the last of the Drunkard's path units, which is why I have some time to work on the non-scarf and hat knitting. I have only seven sets of those to finish before fall so I am in a good place with those although I am getting a little tired of them. I sent four sets of the finished sets to Matthew and his little family

I have to say I think that my two grandsons are adorable!

The rest of the day will be spent in cleaning, somehow things have gotten ahead of me again, well, I do know why, of course. Cleaning is so uninspiring, but I have to do it sometime although I would postpone it if the weather would warm up so I could sit and spin outside. But then, I would still have the mess, I would feel guilty for not cleaning and maybe I wouldn't enjoy my spinning as much. I had just better get it over with this afternoon, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment