Saturday, June 15, 2019

It's not that I am not keeping busy, in fact, sometimes my head is on the pillow before I realize I haven't been online all day, and I am too tired to do it then.

These 3 bags of wool came from a new friend, Bonnie, via an old friend Theresa, (NOT my ex-sister-in-law). Bonnie decided she couldn't use it so she passed it on to me. She had washed it, but I don't think her water was hot enough to melt the lanolin and the wool is very sticky. Also she felted some of it, something that is easy enough to do for a first time wool washer. I am giving it another really hot wash and thankfully some of the stickiness is going away. I tried combing some of it before I washed it and it just didn't work.

So here it is being washed and dried. It's taking quite a while to dry because it is very dense and I've noticed that it is also really white. It's going to be lovely.

Combing wool is new to me anyway, I have always carded wool before, but I want to spin worsted lace weight and combing it has to be!
Lashed onto the stationary comb. This comb is just in a bracket on the table. I could comb with both hands and it might be faster, but I think it would also be more tiring.
First pass.
Combed back onto the stationary comb and ready to be dizzed off. I don't know where that word comes from, I just know that is the term they use.
 Dizzing, it's not as easy as they make it look on the videos on YouTube!
The first roving, it's coming off in short strips right now, but I've only done it 3 times so far and I will get better.

I love it!

 As I work I am sorting through and carding anything I don't want to use on the combs. It is pretty time consuming, but I will get faster as I get more experience. In spinning, like weaving, most of the work is done before sitting down at the wheel or loom, and preparation is almost everything. It's a good thing I enjoy it and am not in a hurry!

So this afternoon we are all going out to one of the state parks that is near, Pallisades. The kids are going to fish and we are going to have a cookout. Let us hope that the threatened t-storms hold off until after we eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment